Couvent des Ursulines (Ursuline Convent)
Adolesecnt girls still study at the Ursuline convent on rue Donnacona, as they have since 1639 when the place was founded by French nun Marie de l'Incarnation and laywoman Madame de la Peltrie. The convent has many of its original walls intact and houses a little chapel and a museum.
The Chapelle des Ursulines (Ursuline Chapel) is where French general Louis-Joseph Montcalm was buried after he died in the 1759 battle that decided the fate of New France. In September 2001 Montcalm's remains were transferred to rest with those of his soldiers at the Hôpital Général de Québec's cemetery, at 260 boulevard Langelier. The exterior of the Ursuline Chapel was rebuilt in 1902, but the interior contains the original chapel, which took sculptor Pierre-Noël Levasseur from 1726 to 1736 to complete. The votive lamp was lighted in 1717, and has never been extinguished.
Address: 2 rue du Parloir
Hours: Chapel May–Oct., Tues.–Sat. 10–11:30 and 1:30–4:30)
The Musée des Ursulines was once the residence of Madame de la Peltrie. The museum provides an informative perspective on 120 years of the Ursulines' life under the French regime, from 1639 to 1759. It took an Ursuline nun nine years of training to attain the level of a professional embroiderer; the museum contains magnificent pieces of ornate embroidery, such as altar frontals with gold and silver threads intertwined with semiprecious jewels.
Address: 12 rue Donnacona
Hours: Museum May–Sept., Tues.–Sat. 10–noon and 1–5, Sun. 1–5; Oct.–Apr., Tues.–Sun. 1–4:30
In the lobby of the museum is the Centre Marie-de-l'Incarnation, a center with an exhibit and books for sale on the life of the Ursulines' first superior, who came from France and cofounded the convent.
Address: 10 rue Donnacona
Hours: Feb –Nov., Mon. 10–11:30, Tues.–Sat. 10–11:30 and 1:30–4:30, Sun. 1:30–4:30; closed Dec.; open by request only Jan